Newmains History

BEGINNINGS

Newmains  Assembly commenced in 1847 in the village of Morningside, less than half a mile from where the hall is sited today.

By 1864 there was 61 in fellowship and 90 children attending Sunday School .

In January 1866 there were 100 in fellowship, and by December that year there were almost 120, as souls were being led to the Lord constantly


THE MOVE TO NEWMAINS

The Assembly moved to Newmains on the 16th November 1903, and met in A Fleming’s room.

Soon after this moving into a tin hall in A Fleming’s yard, and had their first conference in May 1904. The Speakers on that occasion were   J Ritchie, JW Grant, J Millar and JW McNeilly. 


NEW HALL

The Present hall was built in 1924 at a cost of £1,359.5s,1d (£1,359.26p) with 98 in fellowship, and the speakers at the opening conference were

Dr Bishop, John Grant, R Prentice and J McNight.


KITCHEN MEETINGS

Also in 1924 there were kitchen meetings in Morningside, Cambusnethan and Newmains.


SUNDAY SCHOOLS

By 1925 there were 400 children in various Sunday Schools held in  Cambusnethan,  Morningside, Allanton and Newmains.




For Thought for the day click    HERE

© Newmains Gospel Hall, Bonkle Road, Newmains